Wednesday, March 25, 2009

pure wisdom

it is hard for me to distinguish "good pride" from "bad pride" in my life. i don't believe that all pride is bad- without pride people would be jellyfish, with no backbone. there are things in life to be very proud of. things you've done, overcome, created, etc. but there comes a point where being proud of accomplishments turns into selfish arrogance, which is not a desirable trait.
this is a road block i have run into recently. i pride myself in my wisdom and knowledge of various topics. i pride myself in being level-headed in most situations. compliments such as "you are wise beyond your years" encourage this prideful attitude. when people i look up to come to me seeking advice, it causes my pride to get deeper. i never saw myself as being prideful in this area, but it is something that i am now realizing i need to be very cautious about. i have to watch myself and make sure i'm not using my wisdom just to show off or just because i've been complimented on it.

James 3 talks about wisdom:
"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere."


i need to be very watchful of how/when/why i use my wisdom. i cannot boast in it. i cannot have selfish pride in it. any wisdom i have needs to be sincere and honest, used for the correct purposes.

1 comment:

becky said...

la-roy,
you are on a roll.